How To Deal With Moscow Police
Heard many stories about Moscow police? Your friends told you those guys can be a real pain?
Well, yes and no. They are annoying, but they will most probably ignore you.Why?
First of all, they target people who work in Moscow illegally, mostly Tadjiks and Uzbeks. My guess you aren't one of them.
Second, this short survival guide will make you a "hard target". It's complicated to deal with people that know their rights.
OK, so here are some guidelines that'll make you feel much safer. Remember - what I'm telling you is strictly theoretical. Chances are you will never have to deal with Moscow cops - you are just not their kind.
1) Always have the ID with you. Be ready to present your passport and visa registration. The latter you get from the hotel, they must provide you with one. You don't need it if you stay in Moscow for up to 3 days. In that case, carry your plane tickets as a proof.
2) Travel with a group. It's more fun and it's much safer. Moscow police are less likely to annoy you when you are not alone.
3) Attract attention. If they do stop you - speak loudly, so that people around will pay attention. The cops don't like publicity.
4) Don't be afraid. Do not panic. Never. There's nothing they can really do. Worst thing you face is couple of hours lost in the precinct.
5) Have someone to call. Call a local friend if the police bothers you too much. If you don't have friends in Moscow - call the hotel reception. They'll get you out.
6) Avoid big crowds. Especially if it's something political. You do not want to deal with Moscow riot police, the "OMON". No matter what your views are, that's not the best place you could visit.
7) Have your embassy phone number. Call them if things get ugly. Do not answer any questions except about your ID without a lawyer and a consul. Such situation,I must add, is extremely, totally, completely IMPROBABLE!
Don't run away! It's a theory, just theory! Like a nuclear explosion or a meteor - never happens, but people still prepare for it!
Relax, you are going to be just fine! By merely being calm and cheerful you keep the police away.
Works like a charm
- Moscow bombings.
- GIBDD - the Moscow Road Police Force
- Dealing with Moscow police part II
- Moscow survival skills page II
- Moscow survival skills part I
- Protecting yourself from Russian mobsters
- Russian nazi skinheads - myths and facts
- Moscow traffic survival guide
- Islamic terrorism in Russia - is it really THAT scary?